Lecture 11: Radiometry & Photometry (53)
mylinhvu11

My understanding of producing the reflection is still a little hazy. I understand that there are different values to produce the different amount of reflections, but I'm not fully understanding how the image is rendered onto the item to produce it's environment on it. I'm wondering if it's similar to texture mapping and then adjusting the intensity of the picture based in the material.

countermoe

@mylinhvu11 Usually, I believe that reflections like this on a model would be done through cube maps, which could be though of as six images of an environment stitched together to create a full view of an area. Then those images are "wrapped" relative to the angle they're being viewed at by the camera (not entirely sure how this process is implemented however)

adham-elarabawy

I imagine that reflective materials like this mirror are significantly harder/more computationally intensive to compute as compared to more diffuse materials. Is this intuition correct?