Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (69)
austinapatel

Is the non-ideal convergence of real lenses why we see blurring effects for objects away from our focal point? How "ideal" is the lens in the human eye for example?

madssnake

Not too sure how ideal the lens in the human eye is, but for people with nearsightedness, the lens in their eye causes light to converge before the retina, which makes images in the distance look blurry. On the other side of things, for a person with farsightedness, the light would converge at a point behind the retina [diagram]

jonathanlu31

This kind of reminds me of chromatic aberration in refractive telescopes where different wavelengths of light are refracted differently. Is this a problem for cameras as well?

modatberkeley

@jonathanlu31 Yes! [read more] I've never really understood why chromatic aberration happens when taking photos up until now — I just knew it's what the weird colors that appears are called. I've noticed on cameras that it's usually green/magenta — why is this?