Lecture 16: Camera & Lenses Cont. (17)
Sicheng-Pan

I'm wondering about the relationship between the size of the bokeh and the parameters of the lens. Does the rule holds for other types of light sources as well?

LuxuFate

@Sicheng-Pan Here's an article on how different parameters affect bokeh. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/f2-bokeh-battle-how-much-does-sensor-size-affect-background-blur-really

Unicorn53547

Can we apply bokeh to video? Just wondering if this technique can be used in dynamic setting to produce similar results? If can, do we apply it in each frame of video or there is smarter way in video blurring?

JustinHuey1

For the out of focus light, they have different levels of brightness and color, so I was wondering whether or not the lens might have some effect on this as well.

ClaireLiu123

I was wondering what is the difference between the circle of confusion and the bokeh. Isn't both of them light spreads or diffracts into onion round shapes?

ChangyiYang

In my opinion, the circle of confusion talks about light that is still in the depth of field only is blurred. The bokeh, instead, talks about out-of-focus light, which I belive is out of the depth of field. Correct me if I am wrong.

ld184

Applying Bokeh to video would be done per frame, which should return a similar result. Could bokeh return different shapes for the lights if multiple lens with different apertures are used?

starptr

Why does the shape of the lens aperture translate to the shape of out-of-focus blur? This doesn't seem very obvious

mooreyeel

The bokeh in this image seem to be more or less the same color saturation and transparency. Shouldn't they change and become more of a gradient over thsoe fields as we go out from the center of the bokeh since our "eye" is a point?

Noppapon

It is very cool to think that the out-of-focus lights, i.e. the colored circles in this photo, would be shaped differently if the aperture were not circular. From my understanding, if a star shaped aperture was used, these lights would be stars instead of circles!

modatberkeley

Since bokeh is getting a lot of interest, I was curious to see how it's been used in films. It's not surprising to see it in movies, but also in animated movies like Toy Story 4 and Soul to emulate reality. Would be quite interesting to see how we can emulate this like Pixar has done.

joeyzhao123

I'm wondering if you could just photoshop circles like the ones in this photo to mimic this action of Bokeh and have it look just as realistic? In a sense those circles seem to just exist.