Lecture 16: Camera & Lenses Cont. (24)
tanjeffreyz

I never realized microscope lenses are so complex! What is the reason for using so many lenses as opposed to just using 3 or 4? Intuitively, it looks like the sequence of lenses magnifies first, then zooms out slightly, is there a reason for that as opposed to having them all configured to magnify?

countermoe

I don't know much about this either, but the little reading I've done on this notes that modern lenses do this to minimize chromatic aberration, in which different wave lengths of light are bent differently. By designing lenses like this, we ensure that we bend light more uniformly.

adham-elarabawy

Some of the subsequent magnification and zooming out seems highly unintuitive, but from what I found online, higher magnification can reveal more detail, but it also decreases the field of view and can make it harder to maintain focus on the object being viewed. By zooming out slightly, the microscope can achieve a balance between magnification and field of view, allowing for easier viewing and better overall performance.

jierui-cell

Here is a great video explaining the processes behind making a modern cellphone lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_02Cxkmxk