Lecture 17: Intro to Animation (32)
LuxuFate

Is there a certain reason to avoid symmetries?

modatberkeley

I think it could be because of two reasons (although I'm not sure):

1. symmetries don't feel natural to us (life usually isn't perfectly symmetric)
  2. symmetry is just boring
ld184

I believe noise is also inherently part of natural environment, I wonder what "strong" design means that isn't subjectively defined

ClaireLiu123

I think that is because symmetries will cause the appeal to be too balanced and too stable which might lead people to have a lack of interest in the image.

waleedlatif1

@LuxuFate I was thinking the same thing, and after thinking about it for a bit it made me realize that symmetry is often avoided because it can make a character appear static and less visually interesting. Like what was mentioned before, if something was perfectly symmetric it would feel as though it were an animation of a robot or something mechanical, as opposed to something that is real or 'realistic.' This, along with many of the other animation principles, gives the characters life and personality and in turn making them more memorable for us.

prannaypradeep999

I'm curious to know the role of color in appeal. How much time is generally put into thinking about how different nuanced shades of colors would effect how certain animations are seen.

joeyzhao123

I'm not too sure how long they would spend thinking about color but I know that there is a lot of emphasis on color and how it affects the mood of the audience.

annieln

When considering what factors makes a character appealing, I would say that most people generally credit character design. As a result, I found the note about avoiding symmetries to be very interesting, since symmetry seems to be an important component for character design. Within 3D animation, character sheets and the modeling are based in the T-pose, which tends to ensure symmetry. Plus, creating symmetrical faces within characters tend to make them more appealing and likable. This advice to avoid symmetries seems to apply to the posing of characters, rather than designing them, so I’m curious as to whether the appeal of a character stems more from character design or presentation.