Lecture 19: Intro to Physical Simulation (2)
reesiespeesies

we've seen this clip a few times, but one question i keep having is what if the actual material changes? cloth v. cotton v. synthetic? is all that changes some constant associated or do the entire physics behind it also change?

jackykwok2024

I'm very intrigued by the cloth simulation. Cloth is a highly dynamic material capable of a wide range of physical phenomena including stretching, bending, folding, and ripping. How do these properties vary depending on the specific conditions of the simulation (such as temperature and humidity)? Also, cloth has nonlinear behavior, which implies that the connection between applied force and resultant deformation is not linear.

geos98

@reesiespeesies, I am not sure if I am correct but I guess the answer to your question is, it depends. It probably depends on how different the materials are.

If the underlying cloth structure is the same (i.e., different cloth made up of different type of crossing threads but with the same pattern), then I would imagine to change material, you just need to adjust the constant associated with the property of the "thread" you used.

However, if the underlying pattern are different, you probably need to have a new modeling for it (i.e., if you change cloth to paper, you probably cannot get away with simply change constant).

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.