Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (12)
william-fei

This picture makes me think of a future where we all using VR to interact with each other like from the movie Wall-E. Can we discuss some ethical concerns related to this technology? For example, how would it impact our social interactions and relationships?

ShaamerKumar

Are there any efficient methods to increase the quality of the view when in a VR mode? I see from this photo that the texture of the glass etc is visibly not realistic whereas when we were rendering images it was.

joeyhou0804

Because of the pandemic, a lot of us are now familiar with online meetings (on Zoom, for example) and it brings a change to the whole world. With this VR meeting along with the developing metaverse, I'm looking forward to a new form of communication and the changes that come with it.

ess3ncez

Aside from the challenges of achieving realism, today's VR conferences still have a number of limitations. For example, VR headsets can be heavy and uncomfortable to wear for long periods; data transmission latency between users can lead to synchronization issues; capturing and reproducing subtle facial expressions and body language in VR remains difficult; and the closed ecosystems of VR manufacturers make it hard to develop cross-platform conference applications. While VR conferences may seem cool, they are still not yet ready for widely practical applications.

orenazad

@william-fei I feel like it would undoubtedly have a negative impact on our social interactions and relationships. On one hand, it has the power to better connect people across vast distances. However, I feel like we already have tools that do that well enough, without going over the top. I think too much of an emphasis on VR could position it as a replacement for real-life social interaction. Further, VR opens this alternate reality to concerning things (IMO) like increased advertisement and data capture in a way that isn't possible in the real world.

stexus

I also can't help but make parallels to our current "social media", which while intended to bring people together, in fact has caused quite the drop in many people's mental health and social lives. VR takes this a step further and it has scary implications.

sZwX74

With the prevalence of Zoom meetings, I think this sort of VR video chat is can be an upgrade to Zoom meetings, as it would enable more direct interaction.