Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (239)
Gabe-Mitnick

In lecture, prof O'Brien mentioned two VR experiences on display in Richmond: "CARNE y ARENA" about refugees, and "Space Explorers: The Infinite" about the International Space Station. (Both runs ended a few days ago.) While the professor was saying this, I was not in lecture, because I was actually in Richmond doing the space one. It was a cool experience, especially seeing the VR videos they took of astronauts moving around in the space station. But there were also lots of technical limitations that kept me from feeling immersed:

• The display's resolution wasn't high enough
  • There were chromatic aberrations at the edges of each viewport
  • The headset was uncomfortable
  • The headset motion tracking was glitchy, so sometimes the environment would appear tilted and offset
  • To keep participants from walking into each other, there was some sort of computer vision system tracking our body positions to render abstract avatars in VR, but that tracking was innacurate, so I had to be careful to not walk into strangers.

Overall, it was interesting, but maybe not worth the $35 ticket, and it didn't sell me on VR being The Future.