Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (51)
rsha256

is it not overly stressful for your eyes to constantly be plugged into a VR scene? Have any studies been done on he effects of eyesight after extended VR usage?

jasonyang7

How does constantly viewing a world at such a close distance affect those who are wearing glasses? In glasses, there is another lens that corrects the person's vision, but this does not encompass the entire field of view. How do you account for something that is visible outside of the FOV of the glasses?

mcjch

@rsha256 I found two papers on the topic of eyesight health and VR. Mark Mon-Williams, John P. Warm, Simon Rushton, Binocular vision in a virtual world: visual deficits following the wearing of a head-mounted display (1993) found signs of induced binocular stress. However, this research used older technology and measured VR headset use of only 10 minutes. A more recent paper utilized a Samsung Gear VR and a Galaxy 6 on 2 hours of headset use. Hyeon Jeong Yoon, Hyun Sik Moon, Mi Sun Sung, Sang Woo Park & Hwan Heo, Effects of prolonged use of virtual reality smartphone-based head-mounted display on visual parameters: a randomised controlled trial (2021) conducted a more thorough analysis and concluded that multiple visual parameters were affected.

aliwang2001

I was doing some more research into VR and glasses. It seems like near-sighted people do need to wear glasses for VR, because even though the VR lenses are close to your eyes, the images generated are meant to be far away. Your brain will process them as such, and cause a lot of unnecessary eye strain. I thought this was pretty interesting, and I wonder if there are any special VR headsets that can adjust for nearsightedness.

rsha256

@aliwang2001 That sounds like a really cool final project idea!

madssnake

I think there are prescription lens inserts for certain VR headsets now. But I guess @aliwang2001 you were wondering if the screen can provide the correction itself? I think that would be pretty cool since people's correction levels change overtime and thus you wouldn't need to replace the lens inserts (although contacts do work as well and some VR headsets can fit glasses). I think it might be hard to extend that to people with other vision needs, such as astigmatisms, though... it would be a very cool breakthrough!

starptr

Some VR headsets do fit glasses. I tried one before but it's not a great experience; the distance of your eyes to the VR lens increases so you have a smaller FOV. Anyone know why this correction can't be done in the VR headset itself? To the extent of my knowledge, all glasses do is adjust the focus distance so that it's within the range that the eyes can focus. But since the VR display needs to correct for the VR lens' distortion anyways, I imagine it can also correct for the distortion your glasses normally apply

jonathanlu31

Yea that seems like it should be possible. Since Toy Story 4 modeled virtual lenses after real camera lenses or something, it seems like in the future, one should be able to calibrate the virtual lenses based on their vision. There are also some autofocus glasses now too I think.

prannaypradeep999

On the thread of VR's effects on ones eyes and head, VR headsets can cause the condition called vergence-accommodation conflict. This happens when one's eyes focus on objects at a certain distance for a long period of time, which can cause strain on the eye muscles, leading to discomfort and fatigue. Other than that, I wasn't able to find if there were any proven long term effects.