Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (66)
jasonyang7

I'm quite curious about those who have impaired vision. Is there some way for those who need glasses to have "perfect" vision in the VR world? I feel like this could be a solution that would require the previous use of lens size, aperture, etc. from project 3-2.

mooreyeel

That is actually a good idea. An eye exam isn't too difficult to do, so you can either do one or tell them your prescription and they adjust the viewing experience for you. I don't know if you would necessarily need much from 3-2 but i think your idea is genius here

joeyhou0804

The ideas above are wonderful and in fact, as a graduate student, my capstone project is currently working on developing a technology called "vision correction display" and applying it to VR headsets. There are already studies on vision correction display technology in a normal setting (for example, a near-sighted person looking at a tablet) and we are using a combination of hardware (in front of the screen) and software (to manipulate the image). Hopefully, in the future, we can make use of the parameters you mentioned to make customized devices to render real-time videos.

ZiqiShi-HMD

How do we do eye tracking in practice? I'm thinking about using a calibration system, where we ask the user to fixate on objects displayed at different distances/positions and calibrate their eye position at that moment to be the standard eye position for that distance/position. Then in the actual run, we regress the attended area's distance and position with that as a reference. Is this close to what we do in practice?