Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (93)
egbenedict

Why would these markers be only on the walls and ceiling, as opposed to also on the objects present in the environment, like the chair, desk, and computers?

countermoe

I don't think there's anything that would prevent using markers on other objects. In this case, I'm sure this specific testing room was set up in a way to mimic the use case of early consumer VR hooked up to a computer in a cleared room. This would answer questions about how intrusive furniture is in a room mapped to VR.

Sicheng-Pan

Maybe its because the walls and the ceilings are more stable source of references. Furniture like desk and lamps may move around, after which more work has to be done for re-calibration.

AndyyHuang

I'm assuming they were just testing the boundaries of the room in VR as opposed to furniture or objects in the room

sartk

Perhaps could be the stability of the objects present in the environment. In this case, it would make sense to focus on mapping the walls and ceiling as these are the most stable sources of reference.