Lecture 23: Color Science (11)
ShaamerKumar

I thought colorblindness was due to something in our eye receptors, how is it possible to show color-blind individuals color?

LuxuFate

@ShaamerKumar These glasses change the appearance/perception of colors, letting colorblind people see the difference in colors they couldn't distinguish before.

kkoujah

You are correct that color blindness is typically caused by a deficiency in the photopigments or cone cells in the retina of the eye, which can lead to difficulties in distinguishing certain colors. However, advancements in technology have led to the development of specialized glasses and contact lenses that can help individuals with color blindness perceive colors more accurately.

jacklishufan

I believe the glasses serve as specifical filters that transform two colors that used to be indistinguishable in the eyes of color-blind to different. This can be considered as a dimension-reduction operation. By changing the "projection" operation, it is possible to reduce information loss. (Analogous example is PCA vs naive collapsing z-axis projection from R3 to R2)

Staffyirenng

See my comment on the previous slide about the most common cause of color vision deficiency, and the way that the Enchroma glasses work.