Lecture 23: Color Science (21)
mylinhvu11

I always believed that when people were color blind for certain colors I always believed that it would appear in black and white, but I'm now realizing there's an effect in the tint of the colors which is pretty interesting.

ShaamerKumar

Yeah its very interesting that someone else's "blue" can be much different than mine but thats what we each associate as the color

Zc0in

According to data, 0.5% of women and 8% of men in the world are colorblind, which is actually very high. Color blindness, also known as color vision disorder, is the lack of ability to distinguish one or more colors due to abnormal or incomplete light-sensitive pigments in the retinal cone cells.

There are four types of color blindness: green blindness, red blindness, blue-yellow blindness, and total color blindness, with green blindness being the most common:

Those who cannot distinguish red are called red-blind or first color blind, where the red part of the spectrum is shortened, green is seen as yellow, and purple is seen as blue;

Those who cannot distinguish green are called green-blind or second color blind, in which green is seen as gray or dark black on the spectrum;

Those who cannot distinguish blue-yellow are blue-yellow blind, also known as third color blindness, where only red and green colors can be discerned throughout the spectrum;

There is also a type of complete inability to distinguish colors, called total color blindness. The colorful world is gray in their eyes, just like watching a black and white movie, only the difference between light and dark, but no color difference. This is the most serious type of color vision disorder, but it is very rare.

madssnake

^ the reason that colorblindness is so high is because for a majority of colorblind people they inherit it genetically. It is much higher in males because it is a gene on the X chromosome, so all sons of colorblind women will be colorblind. Since the colorblind population is so high, I think its pretty cool that there's been so much research on developing ways for correcting their colorblindness (ie via glasses). I think non colorblind people forget about the existence of colorblindness a lot though, because accessibility for colorblind people (ie using colorblind friendly coloring) is usually forgotten.

CharlesLiu02

I wonder if there is any research to correct colorblindness on a genetic level and have that correction based on to future offspring?

ingazhur

It is interesting to know how people learn that they are actually colorblind. If you've never seen the entire visible spectrum in your life, then to you, it might seem like this is the reality. I wonder what aspect of everyday life makes people realize that they have colorblindness.

Staffyirenng

Thanks for your discussion! See my comments on other slides with similar discussions / questions.