Lecture 23: Color Science (61)
egbenedict

Would this illusion still hold up if the two concentric squares had a greater distance between them? At what point would the illusion fade?

Noppapon

I noticed that the color of the image on the right is yellow-tinted rather than white, which might make the watercolor illusion effect more effective, as it makes the yellow border look more blended in.

kkoujah

The illusion of the Ebbinghaus illusion is dependent on the relative size of the surrounding circles or shapes. It's possible that if the distance between the two concentric squares were increased, the illusion may fade or even disappear. The exact point at which the illusion would fade depends on various factors such as the size and distance between the squares, the observer's visual perception, and their distance from the illusion.

LeslieTrue

I'm wondering if there are some common inner principle for watercolor illusion, surrounding effect and digital screen's design. They are quite similar and all of them seems to be due to eyes' being easily cheated by colors close to each other.

StaffDanCubed

I am wondering if the exact color of the border and the inner line matters as well. I can't help but feel like that because the inner line is light yellow which is quite close to white, we end up seeing the illusion. We can also notice that the shape on the right has a lighter shade of purple as its border as well; so perhaps if both of these colors are darker, the illusion would not be as strong? Or would it actually be stronger because the darker colors effect the white interior more?

Veriny

To what extent does the shape of the border matter? I saw an image with the same color combination but without the line shape, and I felt that the watercolor effect was less prominent there. I also saw it applied to a map, where the effect was very pronounced.