Lecture 25: Image Sensors (13)
kkkhanl

I didn't know what CCD cameras meant until looking at this lecture. I thought it had something to do with producing images that looked like film. But I watched this video and it was really interesting to see the differences of CCD and CMOS sensors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJFIzDfUNE

modatberkeley

Agreed^ I always heard the term CMOS when it came to cameras, but never knew about CCD. I'm particularly surprised about how CCD is less susceptible to noise, which (historically) makes it useful for applications like astrophotography.

ClaireLiu123

I am always interested to use a CCD camera. However, I never had a chance to get to know the behind the sense about the CCD camera and how those images were formed differently than digital cameras. CCD chips are much more sensitive, they have fewer pixel defects, they have less noise, and the cameras often feature thermoelectric cooling to reduce noise even further.