Lecture 25: Image Sensors (18)
rsha256

Why may one want emerald/white instead of green? Is it for a higher range?

mcjch

@rsha256 I think RGB+W can create a brighter and more real image because RGBs can create a color close to white, but not white.

madssnake

There's quite a lot of color arrays out there, it was interesting looking at the different mosaics which are used in different types of cameras [see examples on Wikipedia: Color filter arrays#List of color filter arrays].

kkoujah

Emerald and white are variations of the color green that may be preferred for different reasons. For example, someone may prefer emerald over traditional green because it has a deeper, more luxurious tone. On the other hand, white may be preferred over green for its simplicity and neutrality. However, neither emerald nor white necessarily indicates a higher price range. The price of a product or service depends on various factors such as quality, demand, and supply.

rsha256

Why would neutrality be preferable?

waleedlatif1

@rsha256 Intuitively, I would imagine that color neutrality is important to prevent distortions in true color. Because a neutral color filter would have equal sensitivity to all colors of light, it wouldn't favor any one color over another and thus prevent color casts or distortions.

ZiqiShi-HMD

Is there any justification for how much more green/red pixels there should be than blue? Does it just follow the ratio of the human eye's S cell response verses M/L cell responses, or does it follow the ratio of cell counts in the eye?

joeyzhao123

Here is a great video I found detailing some of the concerns and also going a bit more in depth! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxu4rkZBLw

AlexSchedel

I was under the impression that red was the most sensitive because when we were looking at human perception curves in the color lectures red seemed to take up the most area, so why not use red? Does it not matter since red overlaps with green? Also why use the same amount of blue and red since blue has a much lower sensitivity curve than red or green?

rsha256

I have the same question as Alex -- especially when you take into account that red has the highest wavelength

modatberkeley

I also found it interesting that some sensors have mosaics that are not singly-patterned, but rather, grouped. For example, each red "pixel block" would consist of 4 red pixels. The Sony a7s uses a quad bayer to give better low light performance. Read more: https://alikgriffin.com/what-is-a-quad-bayer-sensor-and-why-its-the-future-for-video-cameras/

patrickrz

Does the fact that there are more green pixels than red or blue pixels mean that when a camera captures green, it is the most "vibrant" color in the gamut in terms of how it appears on the final image?

rsha256

@patrickrz I don't think so, i think that depends on contrast/saturation/etc, green just helps capture more details & reduce noise since human eyes are most sensitive to green