Lecture 8: Mesh Representations and Geometry Processing (73)
rheask8246

I was wondering why Catmull-Clark subdivision works well as a general mesh and I did a little digging! I found that its algorithm lets you make a smooth surface for any topology, which is useful for geometric modelling and computer graphics. The fact that it's a non-rectangular mech is arbitrary, but also lets it reduce down to B-spline patches and extraordinary points.

austinapatel

Why does this mesh have both quad and triangle faces? My understanding was that meshes needed to have only triangle faces or quad faces, but not a mixture of the two. It seems like a lot of the algorithms we discussed might break down if there is a mixture.

Staffjamesfobrien

Regular b-spline subdivision, like bezier subdivision, only works for meshes that are all quads and all valence 4 vertices. Catmull-Clark generalizes b-spline subdivision to arbitrary meshes.

bbcd0921

What are differences between catmull-Clark subdivision and loop division? Which one is better for smooths out the sharp edges?