Lecture 9: Intro to Ray-Tracing & Accelerating Ray-Scene Intersection (46)
geos98

I understand the "teapot in a stadium" problem now after the lecture. However, I spent quite a bit time staring at this rendering wondering what was the problem in this rendering before listening to the lecture. The rendering seems good without any noticeable defect / problem. Just wondering if the reason this plot is here is because the plates and glasses on the table are considered small and complex object, that if we use uniform grids to do ray-tracing, we would run into teapot in a stadium problem?

countermoe

@geos98 One thing I notice that might be incorrect in this image are small artifacts standing out as bright pixels in unusual area, this may have something to do with the number of rays sent out but I'm not sure if that's to illustrate the teapot in a stadium problem. I do think that the small plates and glasses could be used to illustrate this, especially the difficulties with transparent glass in the center of the image though. I believe that transparency can have huge effects on the runtime of raytracing.