Lecture 11: Radiometry and Photometry (9)
brianqch

I came across this video explaining how shadows can seemingly look better if they don't use pure blacks or grays but rather a color that is somehow related to the object or even the the color of the texture that the shadow is being casted onto. I assume that light emitted from a source can reflect off of surrounding surfaces of an object, influencing the type of colors the shadow consists of. Is my reasoning logical?

kalebdawit

This slide made me wonder if there is a conservation of energy across radiant intensity and irradiance. Is the sum of flux being emitted from all light sources in a space equal to the sum of flux falling on all surfaces in that space? Or do photons lose energy along the way from the time they're emitted to when they land on a surface?

agao25

@kalebdawit I was considering this too and I found an article that discussed more about what other qualities related to radiometry/light are conserved. In general, I think conservation of energy always applies to isolated systems so I think flux from a source to points on a surface would be equal in a perfect system. That said, photons might be losing energy because of heat, radiation, momentum along their path.

https://www.eckop.com/resources/optics/illumination/etendue/

AlsonC

I wonder if these have a similar relation to each other kind of like how distance/velocity/acceleration translate to each other? Are there a couple of equations that encompass all of these different measurements?

spegeerino

@brianqch yeah, that's basically what's going on. Although, it doesn't even have to be limited to those two options for color. One thing that you can do when implementing ray tracing is to actually tinge each ray based on every collision it makes with any object. This way, shadows are colored primarily by the surface they're on, but are also influenced slightly by objects the light bounces off of to reach that shadow (as long as the shadow is not completely pitch black).

srikartalluri

I am a little confused on the exact differences between these light measurements of interest. It seems as though they are often used in conjunction. For example, Radiant Intensity seems to be nothing but a bunch of rays emitted from a single source, which is what Radiance is. If these measurements are not distinct, what exactly is the relationship between them, mathematical or otherwise?

weszhuang

@srikartalluri

My understanding is that we can think of these as different conceptual forms on what the measurement means. The Radiant Intesity like the measurement out of source. The Radiance being that of transport. The Irradiance being that of a sink. This is just my personal understanding and could very well be erroneous.