Lecture 13: Global Illumination & Path Tracing (13)
eugene-yoojin-han

I wonder what the reflection function will look like for toon-shaded material. Only a certain portion of the object will be reflected, and there will be a stark contrast between the regions that are reflected and those that are not. Will it be a mixture of ideal specular and ideal diffuse?

jayc809

It is certainly very interesting to see how the material of a mesh can be modeled with just one simple function. These examples make me wonder what the reflection function would be like for those materials that kinda reflects a rainbow of colors (e.g. those materials used for car exhausts etc.). My prediction is that you would use some sort of a linear spectrum of rgb values applied proportionally to the amount of reflection? Or maybe you try to model the actual refraction of different wavelengths of light?

aishikbhattacharyya

I wonder if there's a group of images where its properties are designed such that the reflection at every point is unique and different. And if so, I wonder what these examples would look like and if whether there'd be a special reflection function or if we'd use a summation of a function on the slide.

rohan19a

Very interesting to see how types of textures we see in the real world can be reduced from abstract interpretations of the world to fairly basic light diffusion patters. I would also be curious as to the mathematics used to model these descriptions and how you can account for the spectrum for example from mirror to diffusion.

stang085

I wonder how people start calculating the different types of reflection. I know in blender that people are able to figure out how to create certain types of materials by observing the reflections, but I wonder what kinds of calculations are going on behind the scenes and how they calculate that in the program

misha-wu

How does reflectiveness interact with surface texture as well? This feels like it is something that can get very complex very quickly.

he-yilan

it's really interesting to see how different types of reflection are categorized, modeled, and come together to form the final image. i found this video that also talks about this: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/pixar/rendering/rendering1/v/render-4 in the video, they describe diffuse reflection as how "dull" something is and specular as how "shiny" it is, and they use the example of the pixar film monster's university to show how it is used in animation. i think the perspective provided in the video really helps break it down

jerrymby

Why is moon categorized as retro-reflective? I understand that we see its shape because it reflects the earth's light reflection. But doesn't it reflect light to all direction? The material of the moon is just ... dust? Shouldn't it be a diffuse reflection?

zepluc

This illustration is extremely helpful for understanding how light interacts with different materials. It makes me think about those materials that display a colorful spectrum effect under illumination, such as CDs or certain types of oil slicks, whose reflection functions might be more complex. One would have to consider not only the intensity of the light reflection but also the phenomena of interference and diffraction, which affect the colors reflected by the material's surface. Being able to accurately simulate this kind of phenomenon in the field of computer graphics would undoubtedly make the visuals of the virtual world more lifelike.

AlsonC

This is very interesting to see how we can almost match real world objects and phenomenons to types of lighting. I wonder how we implement this in code or other simulations.

el-refai

When we visually describe the reflection in terms of these oblong shapes what's actually happening here? It doesn't make complete sense to me how a thicker oval describes a different property of reflectance than a thinner oval

ttalati

I wonder how these reflection functions are derived. Is it just engineers analyzing the reflectance of light on different surfaces and then trying the find the best mathematical distribution that fits it or is there some sort of physical equation that can be used from first principles to come up with a good reflection function?