Lecture 13: Global Illumination & Path Tracing (22)
SuryaTalla22

Why is it the case that the reflection equation is independent of phi? This implies that the direction of the dispersed light is irrelevant

agao25

@SuryaTalla22 I think phi is a variable included in dw_i which will allow us to incorporate the direction of the dispersed light. Or at least we'll need to trace the direction of radiance rays depending on if we are looking at incoming or out going radiance. BRDF is included in the equation which I understand this equation to mean that the BRDF dictates where and how much the single incoming radiance ray gets dispersed into the outgoing radiance ray over the hemisphere.

sparky-ed

Also, cool thing to remember here is that BRDF has energy conservation; the light that is coming in from a source do not reflect more than a point received. Seeing this physics application in this particular concept is amazing! Also, I was wondering if this can be combined with Monte carlo interagration to its reduce variance.

S-Muddana

That's a cool idea. I think Monte Carlo integration can certainly be combined with BRDF calculations to reduce variance in rendering algorithms. Monte Carlo methods involve random sampling to estimate numerical results. From what I've looked up, in rendering, Monte Carlo integration is often used to approximate the integral of the BRDF over the hemisphere of incoming light directions, which helps in simulating complex lighting interactions more accurately.