Lecture 14: Material Modeling (11)
keeratsingh2002

How does the microfacet model account for the variability in surface roughness when rendering materials with different levels of glossiness?

jerrymby

Coming from this idea of the microscale view of surfaces, I can't help but wonder are there any "real mirrors" that people have manufactured? Is it true that all mirrors are not perfect?

ShivanPatel2025

How does the orientation of each microfacet's normal vector influence the overall specular reflection we observe on a rough surface?

dhruvchowdhary

@keeratsingh2002 The microfacet model adapts to variability in surface roughness by altering the distribution of the microfacets' orientations to mimic different levels of glossiness. Smoother surfaces feature microfacets that are more uniformly aligned, leading to sharper, more concentrated reflections. Conversely, rougher surfaces display a wider range of orientations, resulting in broader, more diffused reflections. The next slide shows good examples of this.

rcorona

I'm wondering what the technical differences are between materials and textures?

Intuitively, my understanding is that the material of an object describes how the surface of the object interacts with incoming/outgoing light.

Conversely, textures in my understanding are images that we can use to sample color from to apply to a point on surface.

With that said, particularly in the context of microfacet theory, the two seem sort of more intertwined than I had first thought and I'm wondering if there is a deeper connection between texture and material. For example, are there rendering methods that apply textures differently to different objects based on their material properties?

brianqch

I'm curious how each microfacet's normal vector is determined or calculated. Are splitting the surface into intervals where each interval is a normal and then we see where that normal is pointing based on the bumps in the surface.

jacky-p

To my understanding the Microfacet Theory goes super zoom on a surface and looks at every way that a specific micro-point is oriented to give it's mirror-like effect/value (normal in this case). This gives a more accurate representation of surfaces when rendering them, since at a microscopic level surfaces are not as smooth and uniform as they appear in the macro level.

etam1

This idea of the microfacet idea makes so much sense looking at examples in real life like how different surfaces impact the spread! A question I do have is how this theory offer advantages over other rendering methods that doesn't apply this theory. I also wonder what computational challenges arises if you use microfacet theory on moving textured objects.

YouxunLkiu

I seems to be a little confused here. if we are having a photo about earth, I know there is an engineering trade off between partial of macroscale and microscale, but how do we combine these two scheme of samples? By averaging ?