Lecture 14: Material Modeling (36)
rcorona

I'm curious about how BRDF functions interact with different color channels.

In my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the color of the material is determined by which frequencies of light are more strongly reflected, rather than absorbed.

Assuming that's correct, I'm also curious if there are more differences in how BRDFs can interact with different frequencies of light. For example, is it possible for a BRDF to be very specular on one color channel and more diffuse on another (e.g. something like being glossy for red, but diffuse for blue)? Or would a construction like not really make sense under physical laws?

snowshoes7

@rcorona That sounds like a really interesting question. As I understand it I think you could do that, at least by using multiple BRDFs for different color channels directly. However, I can't imagine that doing this for the same surface would produce a coherent result--it would probably look somewhat strange if the object isn't simply solidly colored, as is generally the case, so I don't think that there are many possible applications of such a technique.