Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (52)
JaxonZeng

The rolling shutter artifact is the major reason to stop people from using the electronic shutter instead of the mechanical shutter. There are two solutions right now for this problem. One is to make the read out speed really fast (just like mechanical shutter) so that the rolling shutter artifact is hard to discover. A better way is to introduce global shutter. This is actually better than the mechanical shutter because the mechanical shutter still samples different rows at different time. But the global shutter enables the sampling of all pixels at the same time. (here's more about global shutter: https://www.dpreview.com/learn/6348932189/what-is-global-shutter#:~:text=A%20global%20shutter%20lets%20you,your%20subject%20with%20a%20strobe.)

rohanku

Is there no way to "turn off" a pixel? I'm assuming it works by storing charge on some capacitor, so why can the pixels just switch off of the capacitor while waiting to be read?

keeratsingh2002

How do camera manufacturers mitigate the rolling shutter effect that occurs due to the sequential readout of pixel rows in an electronic shutter?

Hamme122

I have a question there. If we stagger the reset of pixels in order to ensure uniform exposure time, it still has rolling shutter artifact? I'm a little confused about this solution and problem