Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (65)
kujjwal

How do the physics of exposure and aperture size work when having multiple different concave and convex lenses juxtaposed on top of one another? Also, what effect do multiple lenses have when evaluating the polarization of light and how can software or camera companies automatically use these multiple lenses to adjust to light conditions, like with iPhone cameras today?

jerrymby

Seeing the size of these lenses compared to a single lens reflex camera, I just feel that there must have been many software side optimizations of the iPhone that make the iPhone photo as good as a legit camera. The smaller lenses must have a lot of defects and the imaging sensor is tiny as well. My guess is that the raw output of this phone camera module would be super bad.

theflyingpie

It's interesting that the layers of lenses would reduce aberrations. I would have thought that the more lenses there are, the more potential for errors on the lens surfaces. However, perhaps each lens somehow focuses the light more and more to eventually converge at a single point.

carolyn-wang

Is there any benefit to making photo lenses smaller or more condensed than how they are now? Or is the standard iPhone camera size the accepted standard that optimizes cost and quality.

SadhikaA

I looked up a lot more about smartphone cameras after this and I thought it was really interesting to see that in order to recreate the effects of telephoto, wide angle, and more, phone companies have had to add more lenses to our phones because ultimately we cannot vary the focal length within such a small distance without a separate lens.