Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (74)
myxamediyar

I found it very interesting that the formulas reinforce some intuition that one may have when it comes to cameras. If you want to capture something at a distance, at some point, it is so far that the rays coming into the camera all seem to be parallel.

srikartalluri

Many modern cameras have multiple lenses to allow for many levels of magnifications and zoom. I'm curious how the thin lens equations changes when adding in multiple lenses. Intuitively, I would assume that it would be 1/z1 = 1/f1 - 1/z0 = 1/f2 - 1/z2. Would this be correct?

Boomaa23

@srikartalluri I believe you are right that this holds for multiple thin lenses, but only if those lenses are right next to each other. If there is some distance between them, they abide by 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2 - d/(f1 · f2). Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK597385/

theflyingpie

Are there different equations for this ratio for different types of lenses? This equation is called the thin lens equation, which makes me wonder how thin a lens has to be for or if lenses have to have certain properties for this to apply.