Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (97)
RishSharma7

I was thinking that the Scheimpflug Rule and the Hinge Rule are both super similar. However, I wanted a few more examples of how they're actually applied in cinema and photography, so I found this really helpful research paper that explains everything in depth (no pun intended): https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ILIM/courses/vision-sensors/readings/VuCamTxt.pdf. It's interesting to see how adding both of the effects to a single shot can complete transform the image.

aidangarde

I would like to know how effective digital attempts are reducing blur are for these kinds of photos. Does the intense details of the first half of the page give enough insight to deblur the second half of the page. I wonder if a seemingly crisper image can be generated this way.

everbolt

I'm curious how the Scheimpflug Rule interacts with lenses that have abnormal shapes or distortions. In the last lecture, lenses that were heart-shaped were able to produce heart-shaped points of confusion when taking pictures that included point lights. Now given the Scheimpflug Rule if we had a heart-shaped lense, would we see the same heart-shaped bokeh in the blurred parts of the scene?

j-nn

Scheimpflug's principle approach is that it adjusts the orientation of the lens and the image plane to intersect at a common point within the scene. By aligning these planes, photographers can achieve an extended depth of field while keeping the subject sharp when it's nearer and farther.