Lecture 17: Physical Simulation (8)
Milotrince

This reminded me of a video I came across about how Disney approached hair animation. There's a reason why Rapunzel (long straight hair) was made in 2010 and Moana in 2016 (curlyish hair) and a few years ago Encanto in 2021 (very curly, springy hair) :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTchBdrqdw

stang085

It's interesting how animating hair is so complicated, and I wonder how people had to study the movement of hair in order to make it look realistic. It's also interesting how they made straight hair before curly, because in my head I feel like some types of curly hair has more structure than other types of hair and since it clumps together, that means you don't have to render out each individual strand like with straight hair.

CLV-Iclucia

@stang085 I am studying the simulation of hair recently. Nowadays the SOTA model of hair in CG is called "Discrete elastic rods", which is basically a discrete version of Kirchoff Rod Theory and that's a mature topic in mechanics. Basically, the internal forces of hair in DER model are composed of three parts, stretching, bending and twisting. I am not sure how this video is created, but DER model is indeed used by many movies and its accuracy has also been verified by experiment.

OnceLim

In recent video games, I have seem improvements in hair physics as a whole. However, sometimes the hair seems unnaturally lighter even in dark scenes. Is there a particular reason for this? Is the large amounts of hair rendered into the scene affecting this?

theflyingpie

Though this simulation is very impressive, the hair feels a bit more liquid and lighter than actual hair would. What are adjustments that can be made in order to give the hair a bit more weight? Would these adjustments involve changing properties of individual hair strands, or somehow the system as a whole?

0-0-00-0

@theflyingpie I think it might have something to do with static electricity between hair strands