Lecture 18: Intro to Animation (58)
AXM78251

I was attempting to look more into the time consuming aspect of the "cons" of Kinematics and when looking for more information regarding this, I was able to find that the reason this is because animators must specify the movement for each individual joint. While this may be okay for objects with not many joints, as our animations become more and more complex with more and more joints, it is easy to see why this does not scale easily!

dhruvchowdhary

@AXM78251 Adding on, using inverse kinematics in animations is really about finding the perfect balance. It's not just about getting the movements technically right but also making sure they look natural and real. When solving for joint angles, it's crucial to remember how real joints move so that the animations don't just hit the target but do so in a way that feels true to life. This makes animations more believable and relatable. This probably is why it could be time-consuming for artists.

TiaJain

Given the various weaknesses, I was just wondering if there was some way to integrate automation to make kinematic animation more efficient / still consistent with physical laws?