Lecture 18: Intro to Animation (77)
djban

It's crazy how far motion capture has gone in the past decade. As someone who follows the CGI scene, especially small short studios, it's crazy to think about how MoCaps have allowed so many more people to animate realness without the high cost of animation. I'm still waiting for the day that these MoCap suits are cheaper, and possible for the people like me to buy and research as a hobby without breaking the bank.

aravmisra

To the first con, it seems that hardware/material costs are the inhibitor, not software (which seems to be mostly in the pros column). As for the second con, I wonder if Generative AI might be useful in conjudction with motioncap? For example, upon receiving the mocap data, animators could make adjustments to the outputted animation using Gen AI prompts that styllistcally alter the animation, using the data as a basis.

adam2451

AI definitely assist in the adjustment of animations produced from motion captures.

yykkcc

Ah, this slide answers my previous question. The cost of motion capture is very high. Attaching sensors to clothes is not as good as directly simulating clothes. It is also mentioned here that some animations need to be modified. If there is something wrong with the cloth calculation where modifying a large amount of clothing data will also be troublesome