Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (109)
lethalNeutrino

For the adaptive sampling part of the path tracer homework, I was wondering why the illuminance was calculated as a "magic" combination of RGB values. Seeing this slide where the eye is more sensitive to green and red and less sensitive to blue makes it make a lot more sense!

cvankeuren

Echoing the point above, I had no idea that we had so much less of an affinity to detecting blue than the other colors. With a little bit of research, I found out that we use blue for indicator lights, etc because its the hardest for us to focus on, thus its the color that we will least likely pay attention to. Cool stuff!

jayc809

I believe there is a pretty interesting evolution theory about how humans ended up with 3 types of cones. I heard from somewhere that a lot of animals that human share common ancestors with only have blue and green cones and do not have red. Humans evolved to have three types because natural selection allowed those who have three cones to have a survival edge as they were able to detect food and predators better. Furthermore, I believe that red cones are much more similar to green than blue cones, which is why scientists believe that it was originally developed from the green one and gradually diverged away.

agao25

To @cvankeuren's comment, I think that's interesting because airplane taxiway lights are almost always blue to help pilots with visibility concerns distinguishing the surrounding ground from the runway. Maybe it's because the lights are mainly for concerns during the night?

I also was trying to see what colors we humans generally perceive better and I found this related research paper. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-Relationship-Between-Eye-Sensitivity-and-Colour-Wavelength-and-Colour-Luminosity_fig4_269300186

theflyingpie

Just to clarify, is r(lambda) the sensitivity of the detector? If so, how exactly it relate to the s(lamda), the spectral power distribution? Each of the curves are labeled with their respective r(lambda), but I'm not sure if s(lambda) is another dimension or how it plays into this visual.