Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (150)
jsun28

This is my first time learning about color gamut so I was curious if all color gamuts are the same? Or do different color gamuts have different sizes based on what medium its used for? Also do color gamuts only support RGBs or does it also support different color models such as CMYK and LAB?

calvintvu

From my understanding, the pixels in a display emit a range of colors and these colors make up the color gamut that this particular display can show. However, does the type of display technology and/or material also significantly affect the color gamut. For instance, lets say we have two displays with the same pixel array and resolution but one has a glossy display coating and one has a matte display coating. With the reflective properties of these two different materials inherently change the color gamut the display can produce? Or if we had an LCD and a miniLED display, would the differences in the backlight emissions significantly affect the color gamut?

s3kim2018

are there any attempts to widen the triangle to match the full visual spectrum? I guess colors could be more vivid if we could have darker reds and blues. Or is it a limitation of the hardware we have today?