Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (160)
srikartalluri

This is really interesting as the representation of HSV as a 3d space with the Hue being a measure of angle is something that we see really often when we try to choose colors for, let's say a rectangle on Microsoft word. The color choices are often internally represented as a combination of Hue, Saturation level, and value. However, I am curious as to how various models can translate between each other. Specifically, we know that most hues are represented in RGB format on our screens. But when printed, we often used cyans, magentas, and yellows. I am curious as to way the axes and points "shift" when trying to represent something in a different model.

wilrothman

I have heard of hue, saturation, and value before, but I never really understood what they mean. I am really glad this slide exists. I guess hue is color typology, saturation is vibrantness, and value is lightness/luminance. Considering I have no artistic ability, this is interesting and new to me. I wonder if artists are actively thinking about this or if it just comes naturally to them. I also wonder if there are any other valid color attributes to produce more interesting color, or if this produces an isomorphism with all visible color. This is yet another example of color being 3-dimensional.