Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (26)
davidmyang

Apparently the painter Claude Monet could see UV light due to an eye surgery he had and people credit this to his amazing use of colors in his art. This made me wonder if people with normal color vision can even imagine what UV light looks like. Is it just super purple?

sebzhao

An interesting side effect of this is that he could only see blue! https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-08-04-mn-4337-story.html#:~:text=%E2%80%9CI%20see%20blue%2C%E2%80%9D%20Monet,I%20know%20these%20colors%20exist., so does that mean that the blue-ish color overwhelms the rest of the color spectrum?

weinatalie

Interestingly, human cones can actually perceive ultraviolet light. The reason we can’t see it is because our lenses filter it out, not because we can’t detect it. Since Monet had his lenses removed, he could perceive more UV light than the average person, which some believe was reflected in his work—he started rendering white water lilies in blue and purple, for example. In response to sebzhao, I believe that he claimed to see in blue because this is how a person would likely describe UV light in terms of the visible spectrum. This is because bue and purple are the colors in the visible spectrum with wavelengths that are closest to that of the UV spectrum.

srikartalluri

The way a computer actually does this is pretty interesting to look at. It is touched upon in later slides but essentially the computer first converts the image into color space that is often based on human vision, often done through the use of metamers. Then based on the deficiency, we can tone down one or multiple of the rods in the human eye corresponding to that deficiency (absence of red is deficiencies in L cones). Then we rerender the image with our new hues and output

stang085

All these comments about monet being able to see UV light is so interesting! It reminds me of how I heard one time that bees can see UV light and to them, flowers show up as little galaxies sometimes, and the UV basically helps them find the center of the flower

marilynjoyce

This might be questionable, but I understand how we can single out color-blinded people if they can't tell the difference between the contrast of different colors (viewing red and green as the same color), but I'm confused by how we know what colors we all see look similar to everyone, or if we just call the colors by their names but we're actually all seeing something different?