Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (63)
jsun28

I think watercolor illusion is really interesting as it provides fluidity and texture to color on a 2D surface. From playing with watercolors as a child, I know that the different absorbent qualities of papers and pigments of the watercolors create different watercolor illusions. But from looking at this image, I don't understand how the yellow appears from the bright blue in the watercolor illusion as they are both primary colors. This makes me question how different mediums and colors can be used to create the illusions of depth and texture using watercolors.

llejj

Do our displays use this illusion, since each pixel uses RGB lights?

sebzhao

An interesting explanation of this phenomenon is that in the feature processing stage of our brain perceiving an image, the area between the lines produces interactions between the lines that cause the color on the border to spread.

Boomaa23

@llejj I did some reading into the Wikipedia page on this subject and found out one of the constraints is that there is always some lighter color (i.e. a white or similar) which the darker color tints (to our eyes). In a display you have red, green, and blue individual LEDs which merge together when viewed far enough away. They don't have this required lighter color, and instead produce (something close to) the desired color directly.

el-refai

I think a reasonable explanation for this illusion is that since the yellow is already pretty close in color to the white background since both the yellow and white are in our field of view at all times our brain is infilling the white with this yellow. Also if I block off the other side with yellow my brain doesn't seem to fill in the area with yellow. It requires both sides to have the same color.