Lecture 20: Intro to Color Science II (122)
S-Muddana

Apparently, metamerism is extensively utilized in industries such as fashion, textiles, and interior design. For example, when designing fabrics or selecting paint colors, manufacturers often use metamerism to their advantage. They create color samples that match under typical lighting conditions (such as daylight or fluorescent light) so that consumers can accurately assess the color in different environments.

angelajyzhang

Personally, the concept of metamerism is fascinating to me as I always had the impression that the colors we see on our display screens have the same spectral distribution as what they are in real life. This reminds me that color is very dependent on environment and lighting -- shadows and exposure to daylight to can make two colors look the same while they have underlying spectral distributions!

RyanAlameddine

I'm curious as to how we could characterize the set of all metamers of a particular distribution. If we were to correctly arrange the complete set of metamers along some axis, would the constructed surface be continuous?