Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (11)
yangbright-2001

This bridges the gap between reality and virtual world, allowing people to attend the meeting in a more immersive experience even though not shown up in person

Liaminamerica2

I've seen many Oculus games that allow you to communicate and sit around a table and play different game cards. Since they're all wearing VR headsets, not only are users cut off from their physical environment (and their notes and resources), the face-to-face interaction is still missing and many alternatives are better and allow better resource sharing.

tom5079

Another problem with VR conference is the weight of the VR headset itself. It is too heavy to have it on for more than 30 minutes

michaelwiradharma

It's very interesting to see how far we've come in terms of VR/AR technology. I could imagine the image shown in the picture as something that's been developed from over 5 years ago, but new technology such Apple Vision Pro's improved facetime shows what's possible now. It's not gonna be long before we have teleconferencing technologies like ones shown in movies.

SKwon1220

I wholeheartedly agree with tom5079's comment; the earliest VR headsets have been far too heavy on the head for users to enjoy the immersive experience that VR has to offer. As VR headsets and the field become more developed, it's important to not only consider the mental enjoyment that VR has to offer but the physical enjoyment that comes from portable, lighter pieces of equipment. Something like teleconferencing and video chats often take a lot of time, which in turn can take a toll on the head if the headset itself does not bode well with the user.

AlsonC

One concern I have with VR itself is how most VR experiences, though immersive, aren't significantly transformative to the usecase they're being applied to. For example, here, I'm not sure if a VR Teleconference would really be that much better than a zoom meeting, because in either setting you can't physically touch or share any objects or the setting around you in your call.