Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (147)
jayc809

I always thought that the way Vision Pro works is very cool and innovative. Instead of the traditional AR approach where we project overlays physically on top of a lens, mixed reality directly feeds the user a real-time stream of the world and inject overlays virtually in the software. This has a lot of benefits such as being able to compute the entire render at once and then simply output it to the screen instead of having to "cover up" or overwrite things in the real world. However, one obvious issue would be that since we now have a layer that captures the world and then displays it to the user, there will inevitably be some latency and could potentially make applications that require real-time coordination difficult. However, I heard that Apple was able to cut the latency down to a couple of milliseconds, and consequently doing everyday activities and even sports becomes possible whilst wearing the headset.

AnikethPrasad

The Apple Vision Pro has some great mixed reality capabilities. What are some actual real-world use cases of this technology? To me it seems like a gimmick as of now.

vivek3141

@AnikethPrasad Honestly, I felt the same way. It felt more like a "toy" than anything. But, imagine (given that the technology is perfect, incorporating all senses) being able to go to work physically with co-workers from across the world! I could visit my parents across the world while going to work in the bay area. An immediate use case I see right now is simply preserving space. My desk has monitors that I could get rid off by simply using the vision pro! I think the applications are immense given that the technology gets good :)

djban

One thing that I personally find annoying is that a lot of these new technologies are released without it being, in my opinion, fully developed. Whether the technology needs to be improved more (either through hardware or software), or the applications are not as widespread as expected, the "hype" of the new technologies seem to fall off or people view it as a gimmick, like Aniketh mentioned. Instead, they prioritize fast and speedy releases without thinking if the product is fully ready yet.

snowshoes7

@djban I definitely agree. My experiences so far with consumer MR/VR/AR have kind of led me to believe that if this technology gains a lot of traction at all with the public, it will take time+some rigorous R+D. For a lot of people, the use case still isn't really there--of course you have things like Apple's Vision Pro that came out but since then, I really have yet to see people using it regularly in the way it's marketed

keeratsingh2002

@djban It's a valid point that the rush to market can sometimes lead to technology being released before it’s fully realized, which contributes to perceptions of it being more of a gimmick than a game-changer. The balance between innovation speed and product maturity is tricky. Ideally, new tech should be reliable and polished enough to inspire confidence and establish its practical value so that it doesn't just become another flash in the pan.

randyen

I think it's pretty cool how VR has been evolving over time. Although virtual 3D graphics and live imagery of the world is great to see, I wonder how the realistic it is to use the headset on a daily basis. I hope the future is able to expand on VR in a way that doesn't need hefty headsets but where we can still enjoy the visual effects.