Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (32)
KevinXu02

So this is why we still need glasses when using a VR headset even though the display is placed near our eyes.

wilrothman

Someone earlier mentioned that they still need glasses when using VR headsets, which is probably the driving reason why I don't/won't use VR even as an interesting rising technology. Because glasses just change light refraction to better display on disordered eyes, I feel like it should be entirely possible for VR headsets to correct their rays to fit the user's optimal requirements without the need for them to wear glasses. Like, it could just display the light rays in a different pattern. All it would need is the user's prescription details. I guess that's future technology, though.

jacky-p

My question is since we need these lenses to create a wide FOV, would it ever be possible to create a smaller headset or even in a way create a VR in a more of an eyepiece rather than a whole headset? I am curious to see how this will progress in the years. Like with computers being a whole wall in the past and now the majority of us carry one in out pocket.

noah-ku

This slide demonstrates the function of eyepiece lenses in VR systems. The lenses are designed to expand the field of view and simulate a focal plane that seems meters away from the eye, essentially at infinity. This optical setup tricks the eye into perceiving images on the OLED display as if they are coming from a distance, allowing for natural vision and an immersive experience. The diagram showcases how rays from different points on the display converge, ensuring the entire display is visible within the viewer's field of view.

oliver-ni

@wilrothman Wouldn't that require changes to the lens hardware though? I don't know if software alone can fix that.

yykkcc

Compared with AR, VR equipment requires more components to enhance the user's immersion, so it will be heavier. But when we realize we're wearing a device, it breaks the immersion a little bit. The optical waveguide technology I learned about can guide images directly to the user's eyes, and it is possible to image directly on the retina so that the user sees a virtual image overlaid in the real world. However, there are still considerable technical challenges, and it is hoped that display devices can be miniaturized in the future.