Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (51)
snowshoes7

I think this kind of raises the question of inter-ocular distance, right? People don't have the same facial structures to the degree where everyone's eyes are separated by the same amount--how do you adapt this kind of processing for differences in how far apart people's eyes are?

ttalati

If I am understanding correctly, since physically the eyes are separated they get a different view of the world (shifted views when comparing the two images perceived by the eye). This shifted view when processed by our brain allows us to properly perceive depth? So if we did not have such a shifted view and presented both eyes with the same image we would not get a convincing 3D look?

saif-m17

@snowshoes7 This is a really interesting thought. I wonder if peoples eyes can differ in distance by an amount that materially impacts the image each eye sees that significantly. My guess would be for closer images this matters more than for objects a distance. From what I've seen online, I've definitely seen manual ways to adjust for this on VR sets, though I'm sure there are some ways they can automatically adjust to an extent.

KevinXu02

Some VR devices can adjust the distance between eyes. And I think one most important part is that our brain has ability to adapt what we see in these devices thought slightly different.

grafour

@snowshoes7 i feel like there has been lenses that takes this into account, where u can adjust inter pupillary distance.