Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (8)
kalebdawit

In addition to Tilt Brush, Adobe's Substance 3D Painter has integrated VR capabilities to let artists texture 3D models in real-time within a VR environment. This allows for a pretty cool interface that mirrors real-world painting and texturing techniques.

sebzhao

I've heard that one of the big drawbacks with digital art (2d), is that the medium feels much different from pencil and paper or brush and canvas. So it's pretty interesting to see how VR painting might work out and whether it requires an entirely different set of skills given you can't feel anything 3d you're painting.

weinatalie

VR painting sounds like a really interesting concept! Building off of sebzhao’s comment, some people compensate for differences between traditional art and digital art by emulating traditional mediums. For example, people can use paper-textured screen protectors. People also use styluses that are designed to emulate real-life tools—one of the reasons why the Apple Pencil is so popular is that it supports pen pressure, which makes creating digital art feel much more natural. I wonder whether VR painting can support pen pressure, even though the artist isn’t applying pressure directly to a surface. Could you gauge pen pressure based on how hard the user is holding onto the controller?

zepluc

In VR, the pen pressure can be quite different since the "brush" never physically touches a surface. So I guess they can use gesture or other sensors to simulate pen pressure?

tom5079

I think one of the bottlenecks with current VR technology is the input. We are currently limited to using controllers or hand gestures which are not only inaccurate but unintuitive.

aravmisra

I would assume that part of the issue is the need for more sensory input. While using a brush in real life may seem like simply translating your hand/brush over some direction, there is much more to it- including the pressure you use, the feedback you get from the paper/surface, the resistance, etc. I think that some physical feedback, like a vibration to emulate friction, would be useful. I think this is broadly applicable to all VR applications- there is so much more than accounts for "real life" than just visual input, or audio input. Sensory stuff plays a huge role.

Songbird94

Other than sensory feedback, I’m also curious in how precise can the sensors be.

123453ANSH

I think this idea of VR painting to be really interesting, and agree with all the points mentioned above. I really like the direction the comments above are going in, and wanted to take it one step further.

The comments above point to the idea that it is definitely worth painting in VR that emulates the way painting happens in reality to get a more natural experience with this new technology.

Looking at technologies like VR and looking at how this technology will improve in the future, I wanted to make the point that I think it is imperative that we do everything we can to preserve both how acts like painting occur naturally, and also other aspects of our physical lives that will start to disappear as the world, and we become more virtual.

SKwon1220

An interesting point to note about painting and art is the sensation of fresh smell that the canvas or paint/ink has, which I assume is a major reason why some artists choose to work in-person instead of opting in for more digital options. Given that a goal of VR is to provide a genuine, authentic virtual user experience mimicking reality, is it possible that the smell of paint, ink, or the canvas could possibly be integrated in VR painting software in the future?

OnceLim

Though I am not an artist myself, I can see the potential of art being able to be crafted from different angles, and being able to paint by seeing on VR would allow the artist to more easily output it.