Lecture 3: Antialiasing (22)
brandonlouie

Just to confirm, the left image is the blurred aliasing and the right image is antialiasing, correct? I got a little confused by the order in the title being "Antialiasing vs Blurred Aliasing" because it almost makes it look like the other way around

Staffi-geng

Yep, in the left image we’ve sampled the signal and then blurred the result, and in the right image we’ve properly pre-filtered the signal before sampling!

nickjiang2378

I'm unclear what is meant by low vs. high frequencies. The professor mentioned at some point that frequency is essentially resolution and that it's a high frequency to move one color to the next along an edge. Are we imagining the "signal" here to be the change in colors from pixel to pixel? Is there a clean definition for sampling frequency in the context of these images?

RishSharma7

I assume that we should be using the Pre-Filtered method for all our purposes in this class. But I wonder, are there any scenarios either for artistic or other purposes that somebody would intentionally use "sample then filter"?

llejj

@RishSharma7 I believe there are such scenarios, such as to imitate a watercolor effect.