Lecture 4: Transforms (57)
pranavkolluri

Is this strategy of using transforms on a single shape to create an image used in any significant manner in graphics? (or something similar when using sprites?) I could imagine this having been used when memory was a very hard limit, although I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head.

AlsonC

I wonder if there's a way to train generative models to give inputs to these functions to make a real-life like animation. If there is, are there any cool resources to read more about it or cool videos about the animations?

YiweiIvy

Under the situation where, say the motion of your left hand also affects the motion of your right hand, do we still use a hierarchical representation? How will it change?

wilrothman

This seems overly redundant, and slightly unreadable. I assume there is a better way to do this, even beyond just making functions that include translate, rotate, draw..., and pushmatrix. I would make a class of some sort to make this readable. I also wonder if this strategy is the ONLY WAY to do this.

danielhsu021202

How does this extend to updates? In other words, if we apply some kind of force or motion to, say, the wrist, how do we update the matrices of the lower arm and the upper arm to reflect the changes to the group?

Mehvix

@danielhsu021202 I believe updates only propagate down the stack -- it'd be funky if we changed the wrist and it went all the way up (to torso); rather, if we want the lower arm to update along with the wrist, we'd just updated the lower arm (which would update all the way down, to the wrist)

s3kim2018
  1. After we execute drawTorso(), we use its transform matrix to draw the head. wouldn't we have to scale the image too, or are we assuming that drawHead() will draw a scaled down version of the torso?
  2. Is there a popular data structure that can be used to keep track of this hierarchy (like a tree)? If I rotate a arm, I want the whole group (arm) to rotate, not only the upper arm.