Lecture 4: Transforms (88)
sgk12

I thought the top and bottom left photos were in completely different locations at first — the difference is striking! This article https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/part-3-professionals-composition-techniques-making-good-use-of-lenses goes into depth about the advantages of different focal lengths, which can achieve the various effects displayed. Wide angle shots, like the first two shown, have the effect of exaggerating distances from the camera, while telephoto lenses (used in the last two images) bring far away objects (in this case, the background buildings) "closer" to the camera.

jefforee

This is a particularly interesting set of images that I had never considered before as a photographer. In the past, I have interacted with various lenses and camera bodies, and I have noticed the different body shapes that result. Currently, I am aware of software capable of combining photos to select the "optimal" image. I wonder if it's possible to integrate this functionality into cameras, allowing them to adjust the view without changing lenses or the distance of the shot.

gfjvgufkt

In the past I only knew that lenses with higher focal lengths can take clearer photos of objects far away, but seldom noticed the difference of the background. I am curious about why the background gets bigger and more blurry, while the figure of the woman doesn't seem to change much.

sebzhao

Is the blur from using different types of lens also modellable using math? I know that when you use a bigger lens you tend to get more background blur, and I couldn't find whether this is a byproduct of having an actual "lens" that takes in extra light, or actually related to the pov as well.

Hsong159

These images are particularly interesting to me. I discovered that back blur from larger camera lenses is often due to focal length and aperture number. Lenses with longer focal lengths and a larger aperture number tend to have a shallower depth of field at a given aperture and shooting distance. I am interested in how larger lens change the frequency of light entering the camera.