Lecture 5: Texture (32)
danielhsu021202

Here's some more insight into what the Moire effect is and why it occurs in this context:

Point sampling textures can produces jaggies and the Moire effect when representing high-frequency patterns in textures. The Moire effect is interference patterns that arise when two regular textures with similar but slightly different frequencies or orientations overlap or interact. This happens due the discrete nature of sampling, where rounding texture coordinates to the nearest texel can produce aliasing artifacts, resulting in interference patterns and visual distortions.

Zzz212zzZ

I found more information about Moire Pattern (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern). I think besides supersampling or resolution improvement, Mipmax is also an effective way to weaken this pattern.

misha-wu

Is there not also a difference in these pictures that is caused by the difference in angle? Ie on drawing platforms, making a perfectly straight line (intuitively) results in a less jaggie-ed line than a more slanted line.

SKwon1220

I understand that the Moire effect occurs in point sampling when regular textures with slightly different frequencies/orientations overlap or interact (thanks @danielhsu021202!), but is there a way that this phenomenon can truly be eliminated? Or is it something that naturally arises due to the nature of point sampling itself?

mahumkhan1

Interestingly, the solution for this is not through supersampling as that would fix the jaggies at the bottom of the image but not the Moire effect in the top part of the image. This is because what is happening at the horizon is a result of the fast-changing frequencies which - per my understanding of what the professor said around the 36:06 time-stamp of lecture 6 - produce black and blue pixels randomly. After reading Daniel's additional insight above, I developed an understanding of how the similarity of the textures can create an additional discrepancy. At this point, my confusion is how much is the pattern due to the type of pattern and how using a different set of textures affects the pattern.