Lecture 9: Ray Tracing & Acceleration Structures (11)
S-Muddana

The complexity of ray tracing highlighted in the slide underscores the computational demands even in seemingly simple scenes. This complexity extends to phenomena like light scattering in mist, where reflections and refractions become exponentially intricate, especially in non-uniform conditions. Exploring estimation or approximation techniques for such phenomena could offer insights into managing computational costs while maintaining visual fidelity in graphics rendering. It's a testament to the power of computers to handle such immense calculations in real-time, enabling us to experience immersive virtual worlds effortlessly.

muuncakez

We have been covering a lot of 3d object applications, how are these techniques we have learned thus far applicable to 2d subjects? are 3d and 2d subjects fundamentally the same across engines?

what about for games that use 2d assets in a 3d environment? (hollow knight is great example of this and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSkk5MDmfz0 helps provide some context for my curiosity.)

AnikethPrasad

This slide really shows how performance can be a concern with recursive ray tracing. Having to do this computation for each individual pixel would not be desirable for many use-cases such as FPS games.

AbhiAlderman

I never really understood why only high-end computers could realistically run ray-tracing in things like video games and simulations, but this slide helped me understand that a lot. The computational power required to do all these calculations, for each object in the scene, for multiple scenes as the camera moves around, would make it impossible for low-end hardware to run ray-tracing. This is why other methods are often preferred and ray tracing is still somewhat considered a luxury when it comes to video games.

RishSharma7

This slide opened my eyes to the true complexity of ray tracing. On top of that, I'm sure that this is a relatively simple example for rendering as compared to TPS, FPS, and Survival video games, or something like an intense CGI scene in a movie. I was curious about how often in the real world do people need to actually rely on genuinely advanced computers to handle the extensive computation involved with calculating the movement, shadows, etc in these types of renderings? Does the computation really reach levels that high often, and when they do, is it usually worth it to perform such calculations, or does the cost of computation exceed the benefit of better modeling?