Lecture 9: Ray Tracing & Acceleration Structures (21)
zy5476

I think its interesting how the course covers many topics with different polynomials in the form of quadratics and cubics. Going into this class I would've expected all calculations to be either one but not both as I thought they would be tied to the number of dimensions rendered

spegeerino

Could you speed this up by computing the minimum distance (or maybe its square) of the ray from the origin, and then using geometry to find the appropriate intersection points without referencing the rays? I think this method might end up slower overall, but maybe it's comparable?

danielhsu021202

Can someone explain why the sphere is defined this way? what is p in the definition? I thought we were trying to determine if there is an intersection between the ray and the sphere, but it seems that the intersection point is part of the definition of the sphere?

Mehvix

@danielhsu021202 a sphere is defined as the set of pts pR2\vec p \in \mathbb R^2 that are exactly distance RR from the origin c\vec c. So we are trying to find for what tt makes the ray evaluate to some p\vec p that is distance RR from c\vec c.

nicolel828

I was wondering in the case where there is one root for t, implying that the ray does not traverse through the sphere, but does make contact with it, would we count this as an intersection? Does it matter?