Lecture 19: Introduction to Character Animations (23)
philippe-eecs

This blending of faces reminds me of computer vision in deep learning where one uses a VAE to learn a latent space representing all faces. Then takes the portion of the latent space related to anger, a portion of the latent space related to sadness, and adds them together to produce a point in the latent space that represents betrayal. When you decode from this latent space the face is truly a mix-up.

ronthalanki

There is also a more classical way of doing what @philippe-eecs mentioned. You should be able to use a method used for computational caricatures. Here is a lecture from cs194-26 that explains how caricatures are computed: https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs194-26/fa20/Lectures/faces.pdf

Basically, you take an average of all faces for a particular emotion and then calculate the difference between a particular face and the average face. Then you add the vector between the average face and the average face for a particular emotion.

ada-hu

I thought this slide was particularly interesting, not just from a technical viewpoint, but also from a human one - I thought it was super cool how we could get other emotions by combining the key shapes and expressions of two "base" expressions