Lecture 23: Image Sensors (16)
wcyjames

It is interesting that the human vision has the lowest quantum efficiency on chart. I am wondering what the quantum efficiency affects? e.g. image quality (but I thought human vision has the better quality)

philippe-eecs

I think comparing human vision to image quality is a bit complex because we don't view things exactly as cameras do. A lot of processing occurs in your brain and your brain does a lot to crutch your vision.

Our eyes aren't very good - especially at night - I don't think its that surprising that they don't have very good efficiency picking up colors.

Perhaps it is also evolutionary.

Leo-godel

According to the chart, human vision has the worst efficiency. But I think human may have other abilities to treat scenes in mind. Maybe we do not actually view things like other animals.

ronthalanki

@wcyjames and @philippe-eecs Since smartphone camera manufacturers are trying to reduce the physical footprint of each component as much as possible, it makes sense that these components are significantly more efficient than human eyes which are not super constrained in terms of size. However, perhaps animals that are smaller (e.g. birds) may have more evolutionary need to have optimized their eyes since their eyes are smaller and their smaller brains cannot necessarily make up for that difference (like our brains do); thus, they may have more efficient eyes. Although I wasn't able to find any resources that prove this

alexkassil

Why is red so much sharper and smaller than the other curves?

alexkassil

[delete]