Lecture 11: Radiometry & Photometry (32)
seikurou

The use of "per unit solid angle" is not entirely intuitive. I believe its purpose is to refer to a particular direction. If W/m^2 is a kind of measure of "power density" (spatial flux density / E), then radiance W/srm^2 is "power density" only looking at a given direction. In later slides we will see that summing up these radiances in all directions gives back E.

tthvar

One awesome application of radiance fields is NeRF, a cutting-edge method of using neural networks to construct 3d novel reconstructions of an object from just a couple images. The input is a single 5D coordinate and output is a volume density. The paper is attached here:https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.08934 , check it out to see some cool renderings!

somaniarushi

I found the idea of "projected surface area" to be pretty confused. Far as I can understand it, the projected surface area is a lower dimensional representation of a higher-dimensional object — that is, projecting the shape of the object onto an arbitrary plane. Curious about anyone who understands it either differently or has more domain knowledge and can enrich this explanation further!

ashvindhawan

^I am also a tad confused on the idea of "projected surface area or "unit projected area'> Does this mean creating a "lower dimensional representation of a higher-dimensional object", as @somaniarushi described above, or is it simply changing the axis/plane from which we are viewing/analyzing the area in question?